As one-half of a two person household, I’m always looking for ways to not make giant amounts of food that will either go bad or result in us feeling like we have to eat way too much. Cupcakes are delicious, but two people do not need 24 of them!
Since I’ve mastered making two chocolate chip cookies from scratch in the toaster oven, why not try cupcakes? I used cake mix, instead of baking them from scratch, to avoid turning six cupcakes into a big measuring, multi-bowl mess. I figured if I’m only going to end up with six instead of 24 at the end, the process should be about one-fourth of the usual difficulty, right? 😉
I forgot to take photos of them when they come out of the oven, so here’s the best I can do for the look of the actual cake until I bake them again:
Now go make your own…
Small Batch Cupcakes
This recipe makes six cupcakes using part of a box of cake mix and homemade buttercream. They can be baked in a toaster oven for maximum simplicity.
For the cakes:
- 1 cup cake mix
- 3 tablespoons butter (softened) or oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 egg
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Combine all ingredients and beat on medium (or by hand) for 2 minutes.
- Divide batter into 6 sections of your greased muffin tin.
- Bake at 350F for about 14 minutes, or until golden and springy (or a toothpick comes out clean).
- Cool completely before frosting.
While your cupcakes cool, make your buttercream icing.
- In a bowl combine butter, sugar, and salt.
- Beat on medium until blended.
- Add vanilla and 1 tablespoon of milk.
- Mix for an additional few minutes.
- While you’re mixing, add more milk in small splashes until it’s just the right consistency.
- Frost your cupcakes!
Optional: If you want your batch to be iced with half vanilla and half chocolate, frost the first three cupcakes, then toss a few tablespoons of cocoa powder in with a splash of milk and mix. Frost the last three cupcakes.
For my cupcakes, I used this (light-colored) Wilton 6 Cup Regular Muffin Pan and baked them in my toaster oven (the Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven) for 14 minutes (the lowest time listed on my cake mix for cupcakes in a light baking tin).