As I mentioned yesterday, I took the day off to rest up and recover after WCUS, and spent the day snacking/gaming/reading/watching TV. It was excellent and so needed. Working remotely can make it easy to ignore certain needs, because you don’t have to drag yourself to an office and can stay home all day — And isn’t that relaxing enough? And sure, it is a lot of the time, but not always & a break for work can be good for anyone.
Since I’m a firm believer in taking care of yourself (so that you can be happy & have the energy to take care of others), I’ve compiled a bunch of ideas for self-care to hopefully inspire you to do a few (and inspire some more ideas for your own personal list).
If you want to stay in your house:
- get comfortable & listen to an audiobook
- read for pleasure (I’ve got some recs here – try romance!)
- take a late night bath by candlelight
- prepare an elaborate, delicious meal for yourself
- keep a journal of lists of things that make you happy.
- stretch, meditate, do yoga
- bake yourself a treat & don’t skimp on the decorations, if applicable
- make something with your hands (I’m learning to sew!)
- stay in bed for 30 minutes after you wake up
- have a 15 minute dance party with yourself
- re-read/watch a favorite book/movie/show that makes you feel good
- relax in a hammock
- play a game (video or board, alone or with others)
- make your house comfortable (declutter, make cozy spaces)
- pet a cat or hug a dog (ask first, but hello dog park!)
- stare up at the sky (clouds or stars!)
- color (it’s so relaxing!)
- do a puzzle
- write a letter to yourself or someone else
- do a Random Act of Kindness
- If you work remotely: Mail a little surprise to a faraway coworker/friend!
If you want to get away from the house:
- go for a leisurely bike ride
- treat yourself to a manicure, pedicure, haircut, and/or massage
- go for a walk & take photos
- take a class for a hobby (make sure it’s not about your job)
- eat at a favorite restaurant
- spend a day being a tourist in your own city
- If you work remotely: Cowork! (With people who work at your company or other friendly remote workers.)
Ideas for during your workday:
- Be mindful. Set & understand your limits.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- Do nothing for two minutes. Hands off your keyboard!
- Schedule time for yourself each day to do some of these.
- If you work remotely: Take a real lunch break! Log off, walk away from your computer, eat lunch, watch an episode of your latest Netflix binge, nap, do some stretches, and/or read a book. Basically, refresh for the rest of your day.
I hope you find some ideas that work for you or all of these inspire your perfect setup for taking care of yourself. It’s a worthy cause. 🙂